Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Deeper in a Lie

She's being dragged away, along with her partner, and I find it strange that she looks and Jonah before she is taken away. The look in their eyes, that undeniable connection confuses me. Jonah returns her sad glance with a nod. The girl from District 4 is a Career tribute, and a powerful one, so I hear. How could he know her? I don't have much time to think, maybe a minute, like when you're on the metal disc waiting to dash to the Cournicopia, to assess what I think about all of this because a Capitol man is dragging me out to the bright faces of the Capitol, along with my fellow tributes, and we are face to face with all of Panem. Everyone goes quiet, and all eyes are on me. I don't understand what they except me to say. Tell them? I can't! The whole plan would be ruined. I understand they could kill me if I don't say, but I WAS going to the Hunger Games, so I should at least try to save the people next to me's lives. After a minute of silence, something does come to mind, and I can barely spit it out. "We... um.... rigged.. I mean... we knew we were going to be tributes." I look around and they are confusesd and shocked. I explain more. "We.. uh... the Gamemakers..." I have to think on the spot; making everything up as you go along and trying to sound believable isn't the easiest task. "We were there. With Peeta and Katniss. When they took them away. I'll never say. None of us." I look around at my fellow tributes and am pleased to see some nods like they know exactly what I'm talking about. Some are filled with anger, some with confusion, and some just plain dumbfounded. I am startled by President Snow's eerie voice on the loudspeaker. "Oh, this is nothing to worry about, calm down, calm down." He's laughing but there's a sense of doubt in his voice. "She's, well, one of our... special tributes." The crowd's anger turns to sympathy as they look at me. Now it's my turn to flash red. "No, I'm not!" I say through grittted teeth. "Of course you aren't, honey. Now, proceed, and tune in Thursday for the Training Scores! What an exciting start to the Seventy-Sixth Games this has been!" I can't control myself, I'm crazy, and people are just giving me nods as I yell. Great. No sponsors anymore! I thought my leadership and bravery for saying what I did would get me some, but none anymore. I'm the mentally ill girl. I don't know what my actions are or what they mean. I'm even more angry than before but I stop because I don't want to make a bigger fool of myself than I already am. I turn to rush to Jonah but I stop cold, silent as I see him with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment